To access the LESP library online catalog, click here:
|Business and Finance||Contents|
|Business Insights: Essentials||Includes company profiles, industry reports and financial reports, as well as business magazines and newspapers.|
|Educators Reference Complete||
Resource for educators and education students. Provides access to periodicals covering pre-school to college and most educational specialties. Includes full-text for many titles cited in ERIC.
|General Reference/ School-Oriented||Contents|
|Britannica||Britannica Academic: Includes Encyclopedia Britannica plus Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, magazines and periodicals, and many other research tools.
Britannica Escolar: Accurate and age-appropriate content in Spanish for native Spanish speakers, bilingual students and students learning Spanish. Available at two levels—primary and secondary.
Britannica School: A source for all grades (Pre-K-12) and all reading abilities. Available at three levels–elementary, middle, and high.
|Kids InfoBits||contains over 550 age-appropriate magazines for grades K-5. Also includes Merriam-Webster’s Elementary Dictionary, maps, flags, seals, charts and graphs.|
|Opposing Viewpoints in Context||
Contains a range of perspectives on many important issues, with over 21,000 pro/con viewpoints. Includes a variety of resource types: reference, news, primary sources, multimedia and more.
|Research in Context||
Contains magazines, newspapers, primary sources and videos for students in grades 6 to 8.
|Health and Medicine||Contents|
|Health Reference Center Academic||Full text of nursing and allied health journals, plus a variety of personal health information sources|
|Academic OneFile with InfoTrac Collections||Contains peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world’s leading journals and reference sources.|
|Expanded Academic ASAP with InfoTrac Collections||Resource for academic research includes scholarly journals and selected general interest titles in a wide variety of subjects.|
|General OneFile with InfoTrac Collections||News and periodical articles on a wide range of topics.|
|General Reference Center Gold with InfoTrac Collections||General-interest sources include magazines, children’s magazines, newspapers, almanacs, encyclopedias, dictionaries, reference books and more.|
|Informe Académico||Spanish interface provides access to Spanish- and Portuguese-language scholarly journals both from and about Latin America.|
|InfoTrac Newsstand||This full-text newspaper database has several New York Newspapers including the New York Times from 1995 on, and over 1,000 major U.S. regional, national, and local newspapers.|
|New York State Newspapers||A subset of InfoTrac Newsstand, this database includes articles from newspapers from around New York State including: Glens Falls Post-Star, New York Times, New York Post, Buffalo News, and Newsday.|
Provides access to business and technical publications in the computer, electronics, and telecommunications industries.
Ms. Tsivitis, Librarian
An online database is a large collection of articles from magazines, journals and newspapers. We can search these databases for information by doing a keyword search. Sometimes, a small paragraph only summarizes the information. Do not use the summary. Choose full text (the complete work) of an article. Be sure to get the full web address (URL) to add to your bibliography.
Please ask the LESP Librarian for help with your research. Passwords are necessary. Pick up the password list from the Library. The online databases may be searched from school or home:
- Galegroup Databases
- Sirs Knowledge Source: Full text magazine and newspaper articles on all subjects. Also search for government reports and documents. Use WebSelect to find reliable websites for internet searching.
- Professional Education Collection
Encyclopedia Britannica can be used for information and links to authoritative websites. It has 4 different reading levels:
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online: high school level
- Comptons’ Encyclopedia: middle school level
- Britannica Elementary Encyclopedia: elementary school level
- Concise Britannica Encyclopedia
Search the Internet
- Multnomah County Library: Use this well organized public library website to find links to good websites for homework and research assignments.
- Internet Public Library: Links to reliable websites for internet searching.
The New York Public Libraries
All of the New York City Libraries provide links to online databases, both in the libraries and from your home. Use the bar code number on your library card for free access to these online databases.
Ask the LESP Librarian for help in using these online databases:
- www.homeworknyc.org/: Find online homework help and help with research projects. This new website provides access to some Math textbooks, an online calculator, and online databases. You will need your public library card to access the online databases. Check out the section on Research Guides for information on specific subjects.
- Dial-a-Teacher: Call 1-212-777-3380 for help with your homework. Teachers who speak Bengali, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese and Fukanese), English, French, Haitian-Creole, Russian, Slovak and Spanish are available.